Friday, December 12, 2008

The Ash-Scram Part 3

Part 2 may be viewed by clicking on this sentence.

The door to my bedroom opened a little after midnight. I turned over and saw the silhouette of a woman standing in the doorway.


“Hello?”

“Hi," she said.

“Can I help you?”

“This is my room.”

“Um. Wow. God. Really? Yakaru put me here.”

“He did? Where’s Amitab?”

“I don’t know who that is.”

“Mmm.”

“I’m just in from India, and I needed a place to stay. I’m not moving in or anything.”

“It’s ok. Where’s Amitab?”

“I don’t know who that is.”

“It’s ok.”

Silence.

“I’m going to take a shower,” she said.

She left the room and I turned over and fell into twilight. 10 minutes later the door brushed open and I heard the sheets move on the other side of the room and the sound of a body getting into bed.

“That you?” I called.

“Yup.”

“Ok.”

“Goodnight.”

“Goodnight.”

I turned over to go to sleep.

“So where are you from?” she asked.

I turned back over.

“New York City, but I’ve just come in today from India. I lived there 5 months in the Ashram.”

“Wow. What’s it like? I heard it’s amazing.”

“It is. You should go.”

“I want to.”

“Where are you from?”

“Israel.”

“Wow. You’re a long way from home.”

“We’re all a long way from home, man.”

I liked her.

I decided to take a bold leap. It was a commune, after all, and if it was anything like the commune I'd just left, my request wouldn't seem entirely unreasonable.

“Hey," I said.

“Mmmm?”

“If I have a bad dream, can I come and sleep with you?”

“If you want to sleep with me, say you want. Don’t make up a story.”

I gulped. "Ok, I want.”

She got up, came over to my side of the room, pulled the blankets away, climbed into bed with me, pulled the blankets over us, and came into my arms.

24 hours of taxis, buses, plane rides, car rides, another new country, horns and smoke and noise dissolved in the healing presence of Pritidana. It was not a mindless, mechanical encounter, but rather a sweet, gentle, fun and organic experience, and we did not cross that certain line.

Finally we both drifted into semi-sleep, a single, foggy thought crossing the brain, which had absorbed so much so recently.

"I dig London."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

...just google my name now,and your story,among all other stories in your blog suddenly pops up!!

took my breath away-my american lover whom i met twenty years ago in london,is still alive and kicking!!!
needless to say:this is pritidana from israel saying "hi,there josh max/shunyam
how are you doing??"

pls. send me an e-mail.
:
pritidana@gmail.com